Sunday, February 15, 2009

I Love Punk Rock

I recently burned a CD of various Pennywise songs and I have to say, I love it. I've listened to a few Pennywise songs before, but only because John listens to them. I decided to burn the CD and listen to it over and over again in my car, which is normally how I learn the words of songs. What I love about punk rock is how it grows on me. Sometimes it's difficult to understand what they're singing, but after 3-4 times, you can make out most of the words. And I'm always impressed by what punk rockers have to say. For example, the song "Same Old Story" by Pennywise has this great chorus:

"I'm not cut from the same mold
Don't know who you think I should be
I'm not cut from the same mold
I don't read from the same old story
I'm not cut from the same mold
Done with yours, I'm living life for me."

I still wonder how I missed out on punk rock as a teenager (well, I listened to it a little, but it was very little). It's angry, poignant, and it can truly put into words ways I've felt or feel now. The example I gave generally expresses how I've felt I "fit in" with others since I was about 15 years old. I still feel this way. I love that I keep finding songs and bands that I can relate to like this. It's life-affirming.

No comments:

Post a Comment