Monday, February 9, 2009

So It Begins...

I want to do this. I want to have a blog and learn all about blogging. I want a forum for my ideas and see if there is a pattern to all the crazy thoughts in my head. I want this to help me organize my thoughts. I wake up some days with so much running through my head and have no idea where to start. Sometimes I never really do. And feeling overwhelmed when you're unemployed just doesn't make sense to me. I can be stressed, but not overwhelmed.

I've been applying to jobs like crazy...there is nothing out there, not really. I'm hoping February is my lucky month. Let's cross our fingers. I did my taxes today. I'm getting a nice amount back, and that should keep me afloat another month. I need to register my car in April and that's going to cost a pretty penny because Nevada bases your registration costs on the value of your car. Now, it'll be less than last year, but probably still about $300. I need to send the forbearance paperwork to my student loan providers, plus the paperwork for the student loan repayment plan the Navy does (which is a huge reason I decided to join). I've promised the universe that once I have a grip on this financial mess I'm in, I will work as hard as possible to get out of and stay out of debt.

I really want to have enough money and ambition to one day start a non-profit organization that helps college grads in situations like my own. It would be "scholarships" for those who already graduated, and they don't have to be in graduate school, to help with the costs of student loans. Entry level pay, in my experience, can pay for most bills, but it doesn't allow you to pay any extra on principle or to save any decent amount (like enough for 3 months of pay in case you lose your job). I admit I could've been smarter with my money. I could've been more frugal. But, to tell you the truth, I've beat myself up over that for the past 3 months and it hasn't fixed any of my financial problems. So, anyway, I would one day like to be able to help those in the same situation I'm in now. Education is important, and no one should ever feel their education wasn't worth it because of loan issues.

4 comments:

  1. Dude, did you visit the closet of my head and rummage through the shelves and drawers of my brain? First, I wanted to run a non-profit that helped people get a car. Then I totally had the idea to help people with their loans...then it was medical bills...

    It was genius...and like most things, I let it fizzle and filed it away with all of my other great ideas.

    So, yeah...we could always be partners. :-) I'll run the East Coast chapter. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sam...incredibly insightful! You have a gift, so don't EVER STOP WRITING. Now I can get my 'Sam' fix whenever I want. Here is what I have learned in my 41 years about debt..it always is there BUT things ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS work out. Stay focused on the future ONLY. A wise man in the Chania Harbor once said to me.."I don't need to care about that", so your past is your past, and you don't need to care about it. Use your energy to propell you forward. You can be whoever you want to be tomorrow, in 5 minutes, in 5 seconds, you decide, you are in control, you....ROCK!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember your ideas about the loans...I thought of that when I was thinking about this idea. We should totally do it. I have no idea where to begin. I really want to get out of debt first, or at least see an end to it. Hopefully, the military will take care of that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Doris,

    Thanks for the positive vibes and the compliments. I do really appreciate it. And I REALLY do need to remember what our Greek philosopher said. I think the debt is just making me crazy because I can't see an end. Like I said in the above comment, I'm hoping the military will help me out...I'm applying for the student loan repayment plan.

    ReplyDelete